There’s no one walking this planet who hasn’t fallen upon hard times, lost people they loved or cared about, taken ill, had emotional issues or whatever else one can add into the mix. No matter what we all would love to think, no one can escape these things. It doesn’t matter how much money we have or throw at an issue, how poor we are or whatever our station in Life may be, we’ll all experience the ups and downs of Life. The plus side is that we’re all going to learn something from these experiences if we let it teach us something.
While going through school, we purposely learn things that we may never use ever again but, we have to learn it to pass the course. Life on the other hand, doesn’t hand us lessons to study but, rather it hands us tests and it’s what we learn from them that makes us pass Life’s tests.
One can think of themselves and only themselves for quite some time but, Life is going to knock us down a few dozen pegs because not one of us will escape the trials and tribulations that we’ll ultimately have to face at some point or another. Trying to escape our lots in Life is simply a recipe for a disaster waiting to happen. One can even cloister one’s self from the perceived threats in Life but, one cannot run from what will happen no matter what we do or don’t do. We aren’t ostriches nor, should we be. We all want to learn. We also want to grow as people. Growing comes with growing pains often enough too but, they shouldn’t be shunned or attempted to be thwarted because we’ll only have to face it in some other way.
The Universe can be relentless. At first we get a nudge and if we don’t follow it’s lead, it will shove us or even knock us down. One way or the other, it’s going to ensure that we get what it wants us to learn. We can’t avoid it. No one can side-step it. We can hide but, we cannot escape it because it’s going to get to us no matter what we do if it wants us to learn something or head down a different path.
It really doesn’t matter how good of a person you think you are or want to be. You still have lessons to be learned. We all do. It’s part of living and being part of this physical domain. One can even try to hide behind being a work-a-holic or keeping busy but, one way or another, we’ve all got lessons that have to be learned. The busier one keeps oneself or the more isolated we try to remain, the harder The Universe is going to shove us. Part of that is because we’ve ignored or turned a deaf ear so to speak to what we’re being shown and told. One can’t insulate oneself from those things nor, any discomfort that’s going to come from these lessons. Sooner or later, we’re going to be knocked to the ground until we learn them.
I, myself, have tried to harden myself to Life’s Lessons but, it hasn’t worked. Life, The Universe or whatever it is that is acting as our teacher, finds me each and every time. Lessons have come in the form of deaths of loved ones, loss of friends, money or anything else that it can use as leverage. That’s not to say that Life has killed off loved ones for me to learn a lesson but, it has taught me that as strong as I think I’m being or as busy as I can make myself, there’s going to come a point where something penetrates my suit of armour in one way or another and “humbles me”. I’ve seen it happen with others in my life as well. None of us can run from it. It will catch us.
So, what can we do?
- Recognize that being a cold-hearted fish or too busy doesn’t work
- Open your heart to other’s plights because there’s always going to be someone else who has either been through what you’re going through or will. Understand them and listen to their stories if you can. You can learn something right there.
- Stop being afraid of getting hurt or rejected because we’re all going to get hurt or rejected at least once in our lifetimes and most of us, many times. Quit trying to hide from the pain or discomfort.
- As bad as you think you have it, there’s always someone worse off than you are. Grab ahold of that idea and recognize that you’re never alone in what you think is the “worst thing in the world” or are asking “why me?” The answer will come back to you as “why not you?” You’re no different than anyone else on this planet no matter what you think about yourself.
- You can face up to the hardships that you face, full on and realize that in one way or another, you’re going to have to deal with it. You can run but, you cannot hide from it.
- Stop thinking of yourself quite as much and recognize that you aren’t alone in either this world or in situations. Everything you do or don’t do, affects someone else in one way or another. We are all fellow humans. Have compassion and yes, even put yourself and your own feelings on the back-burner at times in order to be there for others.
- Do things now. Don’t wait until someone you care about is sick or begrudge someone you care about company, help or your time. There will come a time when one or both of you won’t be able to go back and re-do what you wish you had have done back then. There are consequences to everything that you do or don’t do. No matter how it may be putting you out now, it gets worse when you don’t and can’t do it later. Regrets live on for a long time when they can’t be rectified.
- Don’t think of yourself as above the fray. You’re not. You are like everyone else on this planet in one or many ways but, most of all, you are just as human as anyone else here. You are no better and no worse than anyone else. You may think you are better but, behind our actions are reactions from others towards your actions or lack of them. You can hurt other people even if you can’t see it or they never tell you.
- Accept that you are flawed, have warts and aren’t perfect. Realize that you have lessons that can, should and need to be learned. The harder the shove, the bigger the lesson you have to learn.
- Doing a few good things or tossing a few bucks at something or someone, doesn’t make you a saint with no lessons to learn. By all means, give to charity but, know that giving money doesn’t take the place of your help, actions or caring about others. Give of yourself and stop trying to save yourself from harm, hurt or discomfort.
- When someone else has told you about yourself, you may want to question it. When one or more people tell you that you’re being a certain way and Life is handing you all sorts of headaches, listen. You’re likely not hearing what is being said by several sources about yourself.
- Knowing that you have flaws, don’t deflect blame onto others for them. When you spot your warts or you see yourself clearly, don’t blame those who have mirrored them to you so that you see them. Don’t get angry at the mirror. It’s simply a reflection of you. If you don’t like what you see in that mirror, change yourself in the ways that need to be changed. Don’t shoot the mirror because you don’t like who you are seeing. There will be another reflection somewhere else and you’re not going to like that one any better.
- Recognize that every time you try to shelter yourself from discomfort, harm, fear or whatever you may think you’re going to feel by stepping back from situations or others, you’re going to feel it in other ways.
- Realize that people can see through you eventually. If you’re all about yourself and protecting yourself, not caring about what it might be doing to others, others will eventually see what you’re doing and who you are. Don’t be surprised if you find them walking away. If you find someone who is doing the same thing as you are or, you’ve convinced them to believe you are doing the right thing, there’s more than one of you who is going to suffer.
- Isolating or insulating yourself doesn’t work so, face up to the idea that things within you or your life or whatever it is that is being punched, needed to change and accept it. Change what you can. You might not recognize it at first but, eventually The Universe will let you know that you needed to learn something in some way.
- Most of all, take pride in yourself but, not so much pride that you’re overly protective of yourself. That’s a sure-fired way to ensure being hurt by one thing or another. Remember that “pride goeth before a fall”.
If this all sounded vague, it’s because it was meant to sound that way. There is no way for anyone to be able to cover all of the possible ways that The Universe is teaching us lessons. It will test us all at some or many points in our lives. None of us will find refuge from it no matter how much we try to run or how much we’re willing to give to get out of it. There are no shortcuts from lessons that Life has to teach us through its tests. Learn lessons as you go rather than trying to evade them. Life will go smoother if you do.
From my little corner of life to yours, Life doesn’t come without kicks, bumps or shoves. Knowing that these are Life’s way of teaching us, helps. Take it as a test upon which to learn something about yourself and your life. You’ll be happier for it.
Be well, Love and Light.
Have a great day or evening.